The Paediatric Orthopaedics deals with the totality of the musculoskeletal system. Furthermore, the paediatric orthopaedic surgeon has also to include growth in his thinking and treatment planning. The result is, that children's orthopaedics mostly has a preventive character; due to corrections of congenital or acquired deformities and growth retardation, a later premature wear of the joints or the spine can be prevented. Paediatric Orthopaedics therefore is by no means the Orthopaedics of small adults.
The Department of Paediatric Orthopaedics offers the full range of surgical and non-surgical orthopaedic treatment of children. Our focus is on the conservative and surgical treatment of:
- Congenital and acquired deformations of the spine (scoliosis and kyphosis)
- Congenital deformities of the chest caused by missing, grown together or too short ribs (Thorax Insufficiency Syndrome)
- Congenital or acquired differences in length or axis deviations of the arms and legs (bow legs or knock knees)
- Congenital and acquired malrotation of the legs with gait disturbance (e.g. inwardly directed gait)
- Correction of congenital foot deformities (e.g. clubfoot or congenital flatfoot)
- Treatment of congenital or acquired hip development disorder (hip dysplasia)
- Circulatory disorders of infant femoral head (Perthes' Disease)
- Slipping of femoral head cap (Epiphyseolysis capitis femoris)
We mainly focus on the care of patients with congenital disabilities such as meningomyeloceles, infantile cerebral paresis, brittle bone disease or others. These treatments are often carried out interdisciplinary in collaboration with other departments in the Asklepios Children´s hospital.
In the operating theatre the entire spectrum of modern surgical procedures including minimally invasive and arthroscopic techniques is applied. Let the following particularly specialized methods be mentioned as examples:
- Titanium rib (VEPTR)
- Growing rods
- Corrective spinal fusions from the front and rear
- Hemivertebral resections
- External fixateur (Ilizarov, TSF)
- Intramedullary extending nails on thigh and lower leg
- Fassier-Duval Nail
- Growth-manipulative operations for leg axis correction (eight-Plate)
In the follow-up care of operated patients but also in the primarily conservative treatment, orthopaedic technology plays an important role. Regarding this, an orthopaedic workshop with an especially paediatric orthopaedic experienced team of orthopaedic technicians, which is connected to the Asklepios Children´s hospital, offers comprehensive treatment options.
Due to the complex clinical pictures in children's orthopaedics, we need comprehensive information on the patient in advance to ensure optimal planning of further treatment.