Generel pediatrics & adolescent medicine
The department of general pediatrics and adolescent medicine, we take care of children of all ages with acute and chronic diseases. To this end, we offer accommodation of our little patients in four divisions, which have 37-bedroom single and double rooms.
Medical specialists of different pediatric disciplines offer personal care for all children who need special care, such as the Children's Hematology, in cancer in pediatric neurology, pulmonology, rheumatology, endocrinology, allergy or diabetes.
Areas of specialization:
- Allergies / Neurodermatitis
- Primary (congenital) or secondary (acquired) immunodeficiencies
- Neurological disorders
- Bronchus and lung diseases / asthma
- The disease of the nerves and muscles / spasms
- Diseases of the blood / leukemia
- Infectious diseases
- Cystic fibrosis (cystic fibrosis)
- Rheumatic diseases
- Metabolic disease
- Overweight or underweight
German Paediatric Heart Centre
The German Paediatric Heart Centre Sankt Augustin is highly specialized in the treatment of congenital heart disease. More than 550 operations are carried out per year representing the largest service for newborns and infants in Germany.
The quality of medical care offered by the team of specialists, comprising of cardiac surgeons, cardiologists, intensive care and specialists and anesthetists, is periodically risk-adjusted, analyzed and validated by the European Database.
Constantly our results are among the best in Europe.
The diagnostic and therapeutic procedures used in the German Paediatric Heart Centre are of the most advanced standard. In our modern digital catheter laboratory more than 700 interventions are performed per year.
Numerous frequently cited articles published in the most renowned international scientific journals mirror the quality of patient treatment, indicating the highest international standards.
We focus on:
- Reconstruction of aortic valve
- Ross and Ross-Konno procedure
- Repair of transposition of the great arteries incl. Nikaidoh procedure
- Repair of congenital corrected TGA incl. double switch procedure
- Norwood procedure for hypoplastic left heart syndrome
- Cosmetic – minimally invasive access for repair of congenital heart disease
- Early complex biventricular correction
- All types of intervention, including hybrid operations
In the centre for paediatric surgery patients are treated from birth up to the age of 18.
The care of patients and their parents often starts already with the prenatal counselling of expectant parents regarding a prenatally recognised disease. After the birth a treatment plan is developed together with the physicians and neonatal intensive care.
In cases of complex malformations, we work closely together with the highly specialized physicians of paediatrics, cardiac surgery, neurosurgery and orthopaedics. We are always looking for a useful implementation of the necessary diagnostics and therapy in a way appropriate for children.
There are one, two and multi-bed rooms available on the ward for the medical attendance before and after the surgery. Our department for emergencies and medical clarification is open 24 hours daily.
For the outpatients is also taken care in special consultation hours by the respective specialists in the following areas:
- Trauma Surgery
- General Paediatric Surgery
- Paediatric Urology
- Plastic Surgery and hemangiomas
- Disturbances of bladder and rectum
- Malformations of abdominal wall
- Thoracic wall deformities
We use all current methods of diagnosis and therapy:
Ultramodern CT and MRI workplaces are available around the clock within the Asklepios Children´s Hospital. We run a function laboratory for examination of dysphagia as well as voiding disorders of bladder and rectum.
In the operating room, endoscopy equipment suitable for children is available for the examination of the oesophagus, gastrointestinal tract, the trachea, the respiratory tract and the bladder. Abdominal surgery and interventions on the thorax can be performed minimally invasive endoscopic ("keyhole surgery").
For surgical treatment two operating rooms are available every day.
Diseases of the brain and the spinal cord, as well as of the the encasing structures and peripheral nerves, are treated at the Paediatric Neurosurgery Department. In cooperation with our colleagues in the departments for anesthesia, intensive care, neonatology and paediatrics, and in particular, with the Paediatric Social Service Center, we are able to offer comprehensive neurosurgical care for children and, in individual cases, also for adults.
The interdisciplinary care of special surgical cases is available in the operating room at all times due to our close cooperation with the cardiac and orthopaedic departments.
The neurosurgical team has long-term experience in the complete field of neurosurgery, particularly in paediatric neurosurgery.
All the commonly prevalent neurological disorders in children and adolescents
can be treated at our center.
We focus on:
- Premature craniosynostosis
- Brain tumor surgery
- Hydrocephalus and cystic brain lesions
- Chiari malformation and syringomyelia
- Spinal dysraphism and tethered cord
- Disorders and trauma of the craniocervical junction
The Paediatric Orthopaedics deals with the totality of the musculoskeletal system. Furthermore, the paediatric orthopaedic surgeon has also to include growth in his thinking and treatment planning. The result is, that children's orthopaedics mostly has a preventive character; due to corrections of congenital or acquired deformities and growth retardation, a later premature wear of the joints or the spine can be prevented. Paediatric Orthopaedics therefore is by no means the Orthopaedics of small adults.
The Department of Paediatric Orthopaedics offers the full range of surgical and non-surgical orthopaedic treatment of children. Our focus is on the conservative and surgical treatment of:
- Congenital and acquired deformations of the spine (scoliosis and kyphosis)
- Congenital deformities of the chest caused by missing, grown together or too short ribs (Thorax Insufficiency Syndrome)
- Congenital or acquired differences in length or axis deviations of the arms and legs (bow legs or knock knees)
- Congenital and acquired malrotation of the legs with gait disturbance (e.g. inwardly directed gait)
- Correction of congenital foot deformities (e.g. clubfoot or congenital flatfoot)
- Treatment of congenital or acquired hip development disorder (hip dysplasia)
- Circulatory disorders of infant femoral head (Perthes' Disease)
- Slipping of femoral head cap (Epiphyseolysis capitis femoris)
We mainly focus on the care of patients with congenital disabilities such as meningomyeloceles, infantile cerebral paresis, brittle bone disease or others. These treatments are often carried out interdisciplinary in collaboration with other departments in the Asklepios Children´s hospital.
In the operating theatre the entire spectrum of modern surgical procedures including minimally invasive and arthroscopic techniques is applied. Let the following particularly specialized methods be mentioned as examples:
- Titanium rib (VEPTR)
- Growing rods
- Corrective spinal fusions from the front and rear
- Hemivertebral resections
- External fixateur (Ilizarov, TSF)
- Intramedullary extending nails on thigh and lower leg
- Fassier-Duval Nail
- Growth-manipulative operations for leg axis correction (eight-Plate)
In the follow-up care of operated patients but also in the primarily conservative treatment, orthopaedic technology plays an important role. Regarding this, an orthopaedic workshop with an especially paediatric orthopaedic experienced team of orthopaedic technicians, which is connected to the Asklepios Children´s hospital, offers comprehensive treatment options.
Due to the complex clinical pictures in children's orthopaedics, we need comprehensive information on the patient in advance to ensure optimal planning of further treatment.